ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] ICANN must act decisively

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] ICANN must act decisively
  • From: Barney Wolff <barney@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:46:37 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

As an Internet user, I deeply resent having to expend time and effort
to restore DNS functionality that has been the accepted standard for
many years, namely, that invalid domain lookups will return NXDOMAIN.
While wildcards have their uses, Verisign's scheme is clearly an
abuse, because it is being done for their own benefit rather than
for the benefit of the users.

Verisign has behaved as though the .com and .net zones were their
own property, to be treated however they wish.  That is not true,
and only ICANN has the power to ensure that it remains untrue.

If Verisign refuses to retreat, legal action should be started to
remove the zones from their custody.  I have every confidence that
a non-profit entity could be found or established to run the zones
with the necessary professional performance, ethics and responsibility.

If ICANN does not act quickly, decisively and forcefully, Verisign
will indeed, de facto, own the zones.

Sincerely,
Barnet A. Wolff
President