ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Verisign's Internet Abuse

  • To: <wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Verisign's Internet Abuse
  • From: "Ken Elmy" <ken.elmy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:28:52 -0700
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

ICANN members,

I do not understand your "let's study this" reaction to Verisign's abuse of the Internet in deploying it's SiteFinder service.

Facts:

1. Verisign's holds a monopoly on .COM and .NET domains; the vast majority of internet sites.
2. Verisign's SiteFinder "service" has broken the Internet.  There need be no further technical study of this matter!  Anti-spam tools are broken for all .com and .net addresses now being valid according to DNS.  With the problems spam is creating on the Internet today it is an insult to every tax payer contributing to your salaries that you do nothing to stop this abuse.  Your "let's study this" approach insinuates ICANN is a sell-out to Verisign and has no real interest in performing its job in governing the Internet for all people.
3. Verisign is an unscrupulous company whose attitude alone should be cause for ICANN to fire the company and replace it with another to run the .COM and .NET registries.  In addition to not informing the Internet community of their intentions with SiteFinder, they have a track record of other unscrupulous activity including their attempts to get people to pay twice for their domain registrations by spamming people (including those who registered with other registrars) with notices that they must renew their domain registrations.  The company I work for fell for this and Verisign still refuses to refund our money.
4. Where is the balance in taxpayers paying ICANN and Verisign to manage the .NET and .COM registries and Verisign leveraging that power to make additional money in search listing placement from SiteFinder?  Verisign should be refunding the money it makes on SiteFinder to we the people who are paying for their "service".  Verisign is not paying us for the right to service the .COM and.NET domains.  We are paying them.  They can't have it both ways.  Even the most ignorant person can recognize this imbalance.

If you are worried about being fair with all other registrars just make it policy that wildcards are not allowed for all root domains.  That ends the only argument that Verisign holds over ICANN.

At this point I believe it is in the best interest of the Internet for ICANN to be dissolved and the U.S. government to find a replacement for it as it is clear that ICANN is incapable of doing its job.

Next week I will begin a campaign for ICANN's removal if this problem is not immediately resolved by ICANN on Monday.

It seems that ICANN has forgotten that the world is what we make it and have fallen prey to the sins of power, money, and greed.

Sincerely,

Ken Elmy