ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Verisign should turn off sitefinder

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Verisign should turn off sitefinder
  • From: Stephen <ssansom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 15:35:16 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I add my voice to those expressing dismay over Verisign's deploying sitefinder.

- Verisign shows complete disregard for the internet standards-formation process
- Verisign shows complete disregard for the user community
- Verisign's sitefinder breaks many internet applications
- Verisign's action preempts what should be application-level error handling and substitutes their own, for everybody (in .com and .net), worldwide, without regard for what the rest of us want or need.
- Verisign, of all organizations, should know better. If they want to operate a search portal, let them do it in the same fashion as Yahoo, Excite, Google, et al., NOT by inappropriately hijacking DNS.

This behavior is irresponsible and shameful. Verisign should dismantle sitefinder. Serious consideration should be given to re-assigning administrative responsibility for .com and .net to a more responsible organization.

Stephen Sansom