ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] It's about the money

  • To: <wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] It's about the money
  • From: Bob Seeman <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:18:06 -0700
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

The annual advertising revenues that Verisign will make from the 'Service'
can easily exceed its entire annual registry revenue.

We, the domain registrants, have been paying $6 per year to provide the
start-up capital for this advertising service. Without permission, and by
stealth, Verisign used money that we paid specifically for administration of
the Registry to instead fund 100% of the start-up of an advertising service.
Will Verisign compensate us by applying its advertising profits, all of
which are directly attributable to the misuse of our funds, so as to lower
the $6/year?

Verisign is acting as if it owns the ".com" TLD, rather than being simply
the paid administrators of the Registry. Advertising has nothing to do with
their administration of the .com registry.

Verisign simply has no legal right to use the top level domain for any
purpose other than for a Registry.

Bob Seeman