ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] In support of ALAC statement

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] In support of ALAC statement
  • From: Alexander Svensson <alexander@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 16:42:28 +0200
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I strongly support the ALAC statement on the use of wildcards
by VeriSign. (http://alac.icann.org/redirect/)

In addition, I recommend *not* to reduce this to a technical question
nor to follow VeriSign's logic that clicks on their Sitefinder pages
constitute support by the Internet community. Even if Sitefinder
did less technical harm, it would be an anti-competitive abuse of
the registry operator monopoly. The language of Sitefinder's Terms
of Service make this abundantly clear -- there is no way to opt
out except for technical countermeasures like the BIND patch.
VeriSign effectively /uses/ domain names it does not own and does
not pay for.

Best regards,
/// Alexander Svensson