ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] comments about VeriSign's wildcard debacle

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] comments about VeriSign's wildcard debacle
  • From: Jay Ford <jay-ford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:47:16 -0500 (CDT)
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I strongly disapprove of VeriSign's deployment of DNS wildcards in the .com &
.net top-level domains.  It was done without prior announcement or discussion
(as far as I know), showing a blatant disregard for stability of the DNS in
favor of their own profits.  Their refusal to back out the changes shows
further disregard for the common good of the Internet & contempt for its
coordinating organizations.  I consider this is a clear abuse of VeriSign's
monopoly power & grounds for cancellation of their DNS-related contracts.

Jay Ford, Network Engineering Group, Information Technology Services
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242
email: jay-ford@xxxxxxxxx, phone: 319-335-5555, fax: 319-335-2951