ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] VeriSigns Wildcard Service

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] VeriSigns Wildcard Service
  • From: prue <prue@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:08:07 -0700
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I run the technical aspects of an ISP covering the greater Los Angeles
Ca. area since 1988.  I am very
disappointed that VeriSign has decided to deploy this business venture
on top of the Internets' base infrastructure.  One side effect of this
ill-advised change is the fact that a traceroute to a mistyped
destination might very well go off to this new service server confusing
an already confused user population.
Our NOC gets problem reports from customers or users trying to route to
our customers.  If they see a traceroute that takes off into never never
land instead of heading toward the correct destination I will get yet
more reports of perceived routing problems.

Because I work for a large organization I send this note representing
myself and my 30 years of experience
in networking.  I would imagine that the organization I work for has an
opinion as well but this is my own.

Walt Prue
prue@xxxxxxxxxxxxx