ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Verisign DNS wildcard forces network admins to re-build network servers

  • To: <wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Verisign DNS wildcard forces network admins to re-build network servers
  • From: <TomJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 19:42:59 -0600
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

Verisign DNS wildcard forces network admins to re-build network servers

Since Verisign added a wildcard to DNS (without public testing or
notification), DNS servers and email server can no longer verify if a domain
really does exist.

My DNS and email servers are production servers under heavy load.  I don't
look forward to having to re-compile, re-install and re-configure DNS and
mail servers just because of Verisign's stupid and selfish actions.

Verisign's actions and stance with their wildcard in DNS have made it so I
have to work many O-dark-30 nights to fix what was not broken a few days
earlier.  It is pretty difficult to take a DNS server off-line to upgrade to
a newer DNS when many of my clients use only 1 DNS server in their settings.

I can only start to wonder how much this costing all ISPs to upgrade their
DNS and mail servers.