ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] All unregistered domains with trademarks now go to Verisign

  • To: <wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] All unregistered domains with trademarks now go to Verisign
  • From: <TomJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 20:08:13 -0600
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

All unregistered domains with trademarks now go to Verisign!!!

Every combination of trademarked and copyrighted names not registered in the
com top level domain name now point to Verisign!

How many combinations of non-registered domains with trademarks and
copyrighted names now look as if they belong to Verisign.

Example - try this with your browser:

                http://www.I-Want-To-Buy-A-Computer-But-Not-From-Dell.com
                http://www.buyatoshibacomputer.com
                http://www.dontshopatwalmart.com

I like Dell, Toshiba and Walmart but now I can use their names to directly
link to competitors.

Verisign has hijacked every possible combination of names, trademarks and
copyrights which are not registered.

What is to keep Verisign from tailoring their site finder and make it look
like an official trademark or copyrighted web site which really belongs so
somebody else.