ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Sitefinder

  • To: <wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Sitefinder
  • From: Christian Mueller <chmueller@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 03 Oct 2003 16:08:44 +0200
  • Cc: yyy <soulman@xxxxxxxxxx>, Rene Wienholtz <wienholtz@xxxxxxxxx>, "ardisson, Julien" <Ardisson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

Dear Sirs,

I'm the CTO of one of Germanys largest web-hoster, STRATO. We represent some
2.3 Million Domains, mainly .DE but also some 350.000 .CNO and info/biz/name
Domains.

I only wanted to inform you, that verisigns recent introduced "service"
sitefinder affects some of our functionality. For example there is now no easy
way now to check if a given Domain a customer wants do order is available or
not. Another Example is that we cannot use DNS checks during mail communication
to fight spam anymore.

The only solution we have is to modify our own DNS Systems (BIND) to avoid
these problems. Please note, that this is not hard to do for us; my main
concerns are more that the internet´s DNS system gets more complex and unstable
due to these necessary modifications of the DNS system.

This is not what I or anybody else may want... I guess.
I think it is YOUR duty to take appropriate action to avoid this situation.

best reagrs,
Ch. Mueller
STRATO Rechnezentrum AG