ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Verisign wildcard DNS effecting current Domains

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx, tolavsrud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sitefinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, VIP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cert@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Verisign wildcard DNS effecting current Domains
  • From: webmaster <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:10:39 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

Verisigns wildcard DNS can effectively high jack, existing FTP access to domains that are currently in good standing and are not registered through them.

I have tried the following, after receiving a complaint that a customers login did not work.

FTP directly into the host name, with the wrong login and the FTP gets directed to 64.94.110.11:21 all in the same session ( a Verisign address ) after failing the login process.

I have the logs to prove this despicable highjacking of access to a Domain, and the support time required to address this issue. Find log posted below without the Domain details showing the redirect to verisign. This is a blatant Security Risk on all FTP.

( Domain and IP hidden to protect the Fortune 500 Company, full details available on request by Authorized ICANN representative )

WINSOCK.DLL: WinSock 2.0
WS_FTP LE 5.08 2000.01.13, Copyright © 1992-2000 Ipswitch, Inc.
- -
connecting to 66.*.*.*:21
Connected to 66.*.*.* port 21
220- FTP Server WAR-FTPD Ready
Host type (1): WarFTPD
220 Please enter your user name.
USER LOGINNAME
331 User name okay, Need password.
PASS (hidden)
421 Password not accepted. Closing control connection.
! Logon failure, so quitting
- -
connecting to 64.94.110.11:21
! Connection failed **********.com - connection refused
! Connection failed **********.com
- -
connecting to 64.94.110.11:21
! Connection failed **********.com - connection refused
! Connection failed **********.com

I hope this matter is taken seriously as this is now a major Security ISSUE.
I can be contacted at the telephone number below.

Carl
C.Dalton Inc
305-758-4056