ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Verisign's Internet Trust Violation

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Verisign's Internet Trust Violation
  • From: "David G. Pickett" <dgpickett@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:20:17 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I have sent in my protest about this upsetting matter to the FTC, the FCC, and the DOC:

Verisign's Internet Trust Violation

Dear FCC,

Apparently, the corporation entrusted with the internet name directory has
decided they can abuse that trust by delivering self-serving lies:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=528&e=3&u=/ap/20030926/ap_on_hi_te/internet_typos

I think this is a good time for the FCC or FTC to step in and ride herd on
Verisign.  If I ask about a fake host, like "www.aaol.com" (a near miss on
www.aol.com), the answer should be, and always had been, that "there is no
such host name".  They perform a fraudulent substitution of the address of a
for-profit Versign server address as "the authoritative answer", when they
have no such authority.  It is as if Verizon decided that when people call
411 for directory information, if the directory assistance operator is not
sure of the right number, they can give the number of a telemarketer in
place of the real information that there is no such number listed.  It's
worse, as there is no competing service.  This is an international monopoly
temporarily given in trust, being abused.  Some US agency should be heard
from on this!

Thanks,

David G. Pickett