ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Verisign gone over the line

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Verisign gone over the line
  • From: "David G. Pickett" <dgpickett@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:37:16 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I think that the Internet community greatly appeciates Verisign's valuable contributiuon to Internet commerce security and generous, often free support of personal privacy software. We would give them a bit of leeway in making some bucks to reward their support. However, to use a monopoly power given in trust to give out self serving false answers as authoritative is way over the line. It is a violation of the trust we had in them when they were awarded the honor and priviledge of being the monopoly service for root domains. It's not like they did not have the example of other effective, relatively fair monopolies for the public good to guide them.