ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] results: mail error delay, non-localized errors and broken spamprotection

  • To: <wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] results: mail error delay, non-localized errors and broken spamprotection
  • From: "Björn Davíðsson" <bjossi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 22:07:51 -0000 (GMT)
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

We at Snerpa ISP are deeply concerned about the wildcard move made
by Verisign on September 15th.

We noticed increased support calls from users that were
wondering what happened to the e-mail they sent. A check
in the mail queue showed their mail with typo's in domain
names, waiting to connect to Verisign's 'SPTP rejector' instead
of producing a instant error message, pointing to the typo.

We got questions about if some sites were down, only to discover,
that the person's request had been redirected to sitefinder, not
understanding the english language on it or getting timed-out connections
when their browser attepthed a connection to verisign's sitefinder.

Our spam protection mechanisms partly broke, showing substantial increase
of spam that failed to be filtered out because non-existent domains forged
into sender's addresses suddenly started to resolve as fully valid domain
names.

We strongly oppose that Verisign should be granted any leeway to iplement
this 'service' again.

In fact, we think that the fact that Verisign installed the wildcard,
shows that Verisign does not understand that they do not 'own' .NET and
.COM tld's. We also feel that it should be strongly considered that
Verisign be stripped of any authority regarding tld's and then they would
understand who really owns tld's.

on behalf of Snerpa ISP
-Bjorn Davidsson-
Co-founder and major shareholder.
--
Snerpa ehf. - Tölvu- og netþjónusta. S: 520-4000