ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Verisign's DNS Wildcard "service"

  • To: <wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Verisign's DNS Wildcard "service"
  • From: "Kenneth McGarrity" <hypnotix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 19:46:03 -0700
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

Title: Message
I am glad to see that Verisign is cooperating with ICANN's demand to remove the wildcards from the .com/net zone;  personally, I hope that they are not reintroduced ever again.

Although Verisign seems to be cooperating, I'm concerned about the response their employees are giving.  They still do not wish to consider what they have done *might* have had an impact on the internet.  The attitude in their press release, interviews and messages to the internet community reek of arrogance and being "holier than thou".

In an editorial today (October 6) Mark McLaughlin, Senior VP of Verisign, still cannot find the slightest bit of fault for what they have done:

ICANN appears to have bought into claims that the Internet has broken or will break. Anyone who has used it in the last three weeks knows that claim to be false. More likely, ICANN caved under the pressure from some in the Internet community for whom this is a technology-religion issue about whether the Internet should be used for these purposes.

I'll be interested in seeing what proof they present to show their "service" has not had any adverse effect on the internet.  Furthermore, I would like to know why they think they have the right to make this type of profit-making change, yet have no responsibility to share the profits with other .com/net registrars.

I hope that ICANN can see that Verisign is in "it" for themselves and not looking out for the internet community.  They are taking advantage of their administrative position to turn a profit without regard for the community.  Verisign has no interest in being a neutral party in the administration of the .com/net zones, and it's my opinion that their accreditation should be revoked.  If they're looking to turn a profit, let them do it like everyone else.

-Kenneth McGarrity