ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Never again!

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Never again!
  • From: Roy Jensen <roy1@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:14:37 -0700
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I am appalled that VeriSign hijacked my URL requests when I made a simple typing error in the URL (domain name). Instead of getting a "404" error message, or sometimes having the time to catch my own mistake and being able to change it before receiving the 404 error, I was subjected to a involuntary redirection to VeriSign's so-called "service" ("Site Finder"). This resulted in additional time incurred by me (thus expense) by having to retype the entire URL again, rather than simply correcting a typo in a URL still visible to me on my screen. I consider this to be a theft of services and VeriSign should be severely punished, up to and perhaps including having its authority to register .com and .net domains removed. I should mention that I am a domain name registration customer of VeriSign, and I have always found that part of their services to work well and their staff to be helpful, pleasant and capable. However, that is not an excuse for the action the company took when introducing this "service".

Roy Jensen
---