ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Easy to disable MSIE search in IE-5 and beyond

  • To: <wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Easy to disable MSIE search in IE-5 and beyond
  • From: "Robert M. Enger" <enger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 16:38:39 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

During yesterday's meeting, it was asserted that it was  "hard" but not impossible
to disable the  MSN search  that was built into the IE browser.

A registry tweak does not appear to be required with modern versions of IE.

I have IE 6, and it contains a user-adjustable control.
The documentation says this control was available as far back as IE-5.

There is a radio-button control for this function accessible under:  TOOLS/Internet Options.

This makes it EASY to turn-off the Microsoft search.

Although I knew about the radio button from general spelunking,
I wondered how hard it would be to find on Microsoft.

I searched in Support.Microsoft.com and came up with the following article on the 1st try:

It contains instructions for customizing searches in IE-4, which require registry tweak.

It says that in IE-5 the search is fixed to MSN, and can be turned-off using the method
I described above.

So, Microsoft has documented it.

It will be much harder for users to disable the Verisign forced-advertising.

I am attaching a screen-capture.  It shows the Microsoft information page in the background.
The actual  INTERNET OPTIONS  settings panel is open on my screen in front of it.

Bob Enger