ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] On Sitefinder

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] On Sitefinder
  • From: Tyler Berry <tylerjberry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:46:38 -0600
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

Since VeriSign has announced the resumption of the SiteFinder "service", I feel it's an appropriate time to comment.

As a "normal user", whom VeriSign claims should be thrilled about SiteFinder, I find it frankly idiotic.

VeriSign seems to be operating under the premise that's widespread nowadays: that the WWW is equivalent to the Internet. On the contrary, I use DNS constantly for a number of things utterly unrelated to the Web, the least of which is e-mail; many of those things rely on a proper NXDOMAIN in the correct circumstances. Furthermore, any mistyped domain name can cause packets to be redirected to VeriSign; there is no guarantee that their "VeriSign Mail Rejector" on port 25, for example, is not harvesting e-mail addresses, and no guarantee that it won't do exactly that in the future.

I urge ICANN to take action to stop this ill-conceived destabilization of our RFC-standardized DNS network.