ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Verisign

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Verisign
  • From: Nate Findley <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 11:19:23 +0900
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

To ICANN,

I am emailing to you about Verisign's new found vigor for rearranging parts of the internet. I just recently read an interview with Verisign's CEO, Stratton Scalvos, in which he talks in grand terms about finding the solution to the internet's growing instability through corporate ownership of the root servers. He talks about how Verisign recently withstood an DDOS attack and then continues to say that the only solution is corporate ownership. So by placing the root servers in a few corporate hands are we actually making things safer? I think that a very debatable issue and being the core of his new concept of the internet, makes it an unstable vision. Wouldn't rather as the technology continues to advance a higher number of smaller root servers being operated by dedicated volunteers be another possible solution? I frankly don't agree with what he is saying. His argument is as biased and questionable as anyone elses. Not following through with what he desires may result in fewer corporations finding yet another way to ring money out of the internet, which is, in fact, the point: the internet was not established to be a medium of commerce, for commerce, by commerce. The internet was designed and runs in order to connect people who have many different reasons to utilize it.

Thank you,
Nate Findley