ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Innovation and DNS - why it's the wrong place.

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Innovation and DNS - why it's the wrong place.
  • From: Bron Gondwana <brong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:33:55 +1000
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I'm sure you're already getting lots of mail on this topic, but I
thought I should share my own comments.

"Innovating" with the core internet protocols is like innovating
with the voltage or frequency of electricity supplies - there's
a reason why power companies (at least within a country, I'm in
Australia which is different from the US, or even some parts of
Europe) are not allowed to "innovate" and "deliver more efficent
power distribution" by pumping thousands of volts at thousands of
Hz into your house.

Another fine example is which side of the road you drive on -
there's a reason why people don't innovate about things like
this (ask the Swedish about it).

Regards,

Bron.