ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] sleaze, greed, and corruption oh my

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] sleaze, greed, and corruption oh my
  • From: Craig Groeschel <ladder91@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:03:09 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

VeriSign's action in unilaterally implementing the wildcard
"service" was so wrong, sleazy, and greedy as to be almost
unbelievable.  DNS and name registration are services provided
to the Internet community, not revenue or data mining
opportunities.  VeriSign needs to realize that it exists to
serve, and the tail does not wag the dog.  Thanks to ICANN for
keeping it, and all other registrars, in their places.

"VeriSign Naming and Directory Services, the company
responsible for maintaining the root DNS registry and
provisioning the .com and .net domain names, has decided that
merely running the registry (and owning Network Solutions, a
registrar of domain names) was no longer enough. Instead, they
decided that since they maintain the root DNS system, they
could direct *.com and *.net to their own system called
SiteFinder...."  quoting Pete Stephenson from SpamCop digest.