ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Google Does Exist - SiteFinder Did Not Know That

  • To: <wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Google Does Exist - SiteFinder Did Not Know That
  • From: "Fastpitch Central - Bill" <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 23:58:35 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

While I agree that Microsoft's search page result (similar to the SiteFinder result page) is objectionable, I find SiteFinder to be far far worse.  The Microsoft page is simply too big.  The SiteFinder page had been wrong 100% of the time I saw it as my query result.

On several occasions I entered www.google.com into my IE6 browser and the result was the SiteFinder page.  Immediately my first thought was that Google must be in financial trouble.  My spelling was exactly the same as SiteFinder recommended.

I proceeded with SiteFinder the same as I do with the Microsoft result page.  I ignored it.  I typed in www.google.com into my IE6 browser and the result was the Google page as I originally intended.

Consider what might happen if it is discovered that Verisign tells folks that smaller sites do not exist when in fact they do but they may just be having technical trouble of some kind.  I would hate to trust Verisign saying a word about my web site.  If they can be wrong about Google they can destroy smaller web sites.