ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] VeriSign says "It's time to commercialize the infrastructure"

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] VeriSign says "It's time to commercialize the infrastructure"
  • From: BobbyT <bobbyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:52:48 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

By the sounds of the latest round of news articles, verisign is wanting to "commercialize the infrastructure that governs the Internet." To me this sounds like VeriSign is trying to strip ICANN of it's power as well as forever remain in control of the root servers by commercially branding them their own. Right now icann is the only thing standing between them and doing whatever they want. I think this is strike 3 for verislime. Icann should strip them of the root server duties and hand the job over to another company or a group of elected people who won't try and take over the world.