ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Sitefinder and Web Services

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Sitefinder and Web Services
  • From: Steve Loughran <steve_l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:54:53 -0700
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

Hello,

I have just written up the results of my experiments on how leading SOAP-based web service stacks behave when sitefinder is changing their failure modes:

http://cvs.apache.org/~stevel/sitefinder_and_web_services.html

The core summary is that sitefinder turns what could be a comprehensible error, "Unknown Host" into something more obscure such as System.InvalidOperationException (.NET SOAP stack) or (302)Found (on Apache Axis).

Obscure client-side errors result in support calls and other expenses incurred while trying to track down configuration defects.

I therefore advocate leaving the sitefinder service off indefinitely. DNS is the wrong place to be making changes in the infrastructure not just to support one protocol -HTTP- but one use case -a human at the end of the wire.

-Steve Loughran