ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Verisign's Sitefinder / Wildcard Activities

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Verisign's Sitefinder / Wildcard Activities
  • From: Axoria Internet Services <isp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:36:10 +0000
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

Hello.

I run a small Internet Service Provider and Bespoke Software company in
the United Kingdom. I have long-standing experience Verisign in various
roles, whether directly, or more importantly in their domain-related
activities since the takeover from NSI.

My general impression of the conduct of NSI and then Verisign in the
role of ".com" registry operator is that they are the singularly worst
commercial entity with which I, or my companies, have ever had the
misfortune to have to do business. This is no swiftly stated or rash
sweeping comment : it is the carefully considered opinion formed over
the course of about a decade, but in the context of having been in the
IT business for some 15 years.

It is therefore with fury and sadly little surprise that I learnt about
the Sitefinder facility introduced by Verisign. It seems to be to be an
action so profoundly nefarious and undermining of the trust
relationship, entirely at odds with what I would expect of any entity in
such a powerful and critical position in the Internet infrastructure
operations backbone that I would expect it to be serious enough (in
light of their failure to back down immediately and gracefully) to
withdraw Verisign's rights to continue their operation of the gTLDs that
they currently control.

Thank you for taking the time to read my views, which represent those of
my firm, Axoria Ltd based here in the UK.

--
Best regards,
James.