Re: [ifwp] Re: Address space as a commons?

Jim and all,

Jim Dixon wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Einar Stefferud wrote:
>
> > Hello Jim, et al -
> >
> > You are caught dancing on the edge of a razor blade here, trying to
> > distinguish between having "ownership" and have the "right to
> > control", or to have the "right to coordinate".
>
> No, I am not.  I don't believe that either IANA or the new corporation
> owns IP address space, nor do I believe that either will have any of
> the "rights" that you enumerate.

  Well it would be nice if the IANA or the RIR's would practice this.  Not tomention the
RFC2008 does not agree with this statement Jim.

> What I do say is that all of the people actively involved in address
> space allocation agree that IP address space is not owned.

Well Jim, this is an interesting statement indeed in that only the RIR's andthe IANA are
"Allowed" to be "INvolved" in IP address allocation directly.
This by definition is restraint of trade and needs adjustment badly.

> IANA's
> function is co-ordination.  IANA has no rights in this context;
> it has responsibilities.  This is what IANA says, this is what the
> RIRs say, this is what the LIRs say.

  Saying is not DOING.  It is not what the IANA does, it is not what theRIR's do consistently,
and it is certainly not what the LIR's do consistently.
This is because there is no real enforcement mechanism.  It is for these and
other reasons that the NewCo and the Address council need to have a look at
the actual practice and the needs of the Internet community and formulate a more
well grounded set of policies in dealing with IP address space.

> When the new corporation is created, it will be paid by the world's
> ISPs, via the RIRs, to coordinate use of the IP address space.

  What Jim?  Who thinks or says that this is going to be the case?  Where do youcome up with
this conclusion?  On what basis do you make this determination?
Right now the Users Pay for the Internet and all of the IP address space, always have!