RE: [ifwp] RE: Better Safe, than Sorry! (was: It's been a pleasure)

On Tuesday, September 08, 1998 at 12:27 PM, Mikki Barry
[mailto:ooblick@netpolicy.com] wrote:
>Peter Farmer said:
>
>> I suggest that those who now feel "left out" of the
>> process come up with a FINITE (3 to 5) number of
>> key concerns/amendments to IANA's current draft.
>
>I don't think that will be productive until we see
>what "consensus document" IANA and NSI have come
>out with.

I politely disagree.

Why not come up with a short list of key objections to the IANA draft 3
NOW?

If/when a "consensus document" comes out, compare the list against the
new draft, and celebrate where the concerns have been addressed.

But don't sit on your hands until then!  We have no assurance that a
"consensus document" will emerge, or when that would happen.  (We don't
even have, to my knowledge, confirmation that the IANA and NSI are
aiming at a "consensus document.")

>Frankly, DNRC can't come up with only 3 to 5 issues
>with the IANA draft.

So  -- Ira Magaziner says, "Mikki, I have a proposal in front of me from
IANA.  Tell me what's wrong with it."

And you reply, "There are so many problems, I don't know where to
start."

He says, "Well, please just tell me your #1 concern."

And you reply, "I can't even rank the problems, they're all so major.
They're all #1."

At this point, if Ira Magaziner were me, he'd stop listening.

Pete
Peter J. Farmer                    mailto:pfarmer@strategies-u.com
Strategies Unlimited               Voice: +1 650 941 3438
201 San Antonio Circle, Suite 205  Fax:   +1 650 941 5120
Mountain View, CA 94040            WWW:   http://www.strategies-u.com