RE: Better Safe, than Sorry! (was: It's been a pleasure)

At 03:20 PM 9/8/98 , Pete Farmer wrote:
>I believe that there is a better approach than to create a complete set
>of "consensus documents."

Hi Pete,

IMHO, writing a complete set of "consensus documents" is not
the goal.  The goal is to give the "snipers", "creamers" and
"marginal players" a say in the process that will establish
the future governance of the Internet.

>I suggest that those who now feel "left out" of the process come up with
>a FINITE (3 to 5) number of key concerns/amendments to IANA's current
>draft.

Yes, and many of us have given comments, both public and
private, to both Jon Postel and his attorney, and we have
seen very little effect.  So little, in fact, that most of
us are not willing to waste our time further.

Our strongest play, again IMHO, is to rally around the IFWP
consensus points, as they are truly reflective of a broad,
diverse constituency of Internet stakeholders.

It is far too easy for (twenty-)five people meeting in a room
in Boston, or an ISP/C hosted list, or a name.space rally in
New York to be dismissed as insignificant.

It is much harder, however, to dismiss all of these groups
presenting a plan based on the IFWP results.  If we have a
"consensus document" and a slate for the interim Board of
Directors, then Ira is committed to reject the IANA plan
until it is reconciled with ours.

Jay.