Re: [ifwp] membership proposal

Richard and all,

Richard J. Sexton wrote:

> A proposal for adding a membership to the new corporation replacing
> IANA and the NSF can be found at
>
>          http://www.vrx.net/draft.html
>
> This is most definitely work in progress; both public and private
> comments would be very much appreciated.

  We found your proposal interesting but lacking a bit in some clarity
Richard.most specifically in these two stanzas of your introduction.

To wit:
"The Network Solutions (NSI) draft articles and bylaws do allow for a
membership, but
     members are individuals, making it likely that members would be so numerous
that they
     would have little control over the actions of the Board."

  And....

    " This paper describes a structure in which members are organizations, with
provision for
     the representation of end users and other individuals through users groups.

     Representation and administration of policy are clearly separated. Member
     organizations are classed into membership groups, with each group able to
elect a
     certain number of board seats. Voting mechanisms are proposed which will
make
     regional balance more likely."

  It is our humble opinion that you statements here presuppose that individuals
should
NOT have an equal balance in the decision making process of determining board
members
or council members.  But rather simply assign s number of seats for
non-commercial
users (2), which is hardly representative of the user community not associated
with
a user group or non-domain name owning or holding users.  We believe that all
users are at least, equal if not more numerous  stakeholders in the internet
community
and should have at least as much voting ability and any other organization or
constituency.

  We there fore would suggest the following:
1.) Premises/requirements(membership)

    a.) All internet Users and domain name holders are
        stakeholders.  In other words every netzin is
        a stakeholder/member by default.

        1.) There may be many classes of stakeholders
            defined.  These definitions should be
            determined by a Stakeholder/member approved
            committee/council and approved by the interim/permanent
            Board of Directors.

        2.) For the purposes of definition it is helpful as to what
            powers that a member/Stakeholder has as part of the
            new non-profit corporation.  THese powers or responsibilities
            should be defined as part of bylaws of the new non-profit
            corporation and determined by the Stakeholders/Members
            themselves.

        3.) All classes of stakeholders are equal regardless
            of affiliation or "Class" in which they may be
            defined in terms of Voting or input.

            b.) All stakeholders get one vote for the candidate
                that is running for a board or council seat.

            c.) Use the GP outline for Board members (15) for
                Interim and permanent Board of Directors.

                1.) All Interim or permanent Board members
                    should be voted upon by the Stakeholder/Members
                    at large regardless of the seat to which the
                    proposed candidates may be running for or
                    what constituency they may come from or
                    represent.

            d.) Elections are done in a prescribed time frame
                (say 10 days)

            e.) Anyone can run for a board seat within the
                constituencies/membership class in which they truly
                represent. No other qualifications required.

            f.) Elections are done online from several web sites
                on a voluntary basis. (Exception: IFWP and GIAW
                sites must carry an election application on those
                sites.

            g.) all candidates must submit to the Mailing lists
                their reasons for running, their qualifications,
                and a brief statement of their positions on all
                issues they feel they have a position on.
                These candidates must submit position papers that
                must also be posted on the new entities web site(s)
                at a minimum. Any other sites that wish to carry
                their positions can do so on a voluntary basis.

            h.) All or any stakeholder may contact them via
                private E-mail or posting to the list any questions
                they have for those candidates  Answers will
                be posted to the appropriate E-Mail lists for
                everyone to review. (time frame 10 days to complete)

 Kindest regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.