Re: Tired of Waiting

As another ITAG member I want to second Brians comment. ITAG is an ADVISORY group helping Postel in his planning for the IANA  organization. It is Advisory and does not originate actions -- it suggests. Advisory groups can be paid attention to or ignored, Jon has tended to pay attention. We have advised a hurry up approach and that seems to be happening.

Please don't attribute a Exec function to the ITAG -- it has NONE. and further all the ITAG members have committed themselves to not being Board Members, principles etc in the new IANA so we are as non self benefiting as we can be..

We are trying to help Jon deal with a very difficult problem and through this small action maybe help the net .

To quote froom the New York Times article:

''If we blow it, the result will be governance by Governments with all the negatives that holds for the future evolution of the net,'' Professor Farber recently wrote to his E-mail constituents. ''What do we do. We could act grown up!! We could coordinate the meetings and make it appear like we are organized. I wonder if the net establishment is indeed willing to be grown up, or will they fight till there is nothing left.''

His recent missive was a cry from the heart. ''This is a defining moment,'' Professor Farber said in an interview. ''If we can't pull it together on something like this, governments are going to get together and decide this is too important to their economic health to leave in the hands of chaos. They'll start writing treaties, and we'll end up with a very slow mechanism.''

Dave