Re: Tired of Waiting

At 02:43 PM 7/14/98 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>"Christopher Ambler" writes:
>> >In other words, it's *critical* that the *Registry* for a new TLD be
>> operated
>> >as a public trust, not as someone's way to "make money fast".
>> >
>> >(If you don't see why for-profit, but competing, Registries don't work, ask
>> >yourself how you'd feel once your snappy URL http://my_name.new_tld/foo/bar
>> >is embedded in 10,000 web pages world-wide, and your for-profit Registry
>> then
>> >ups the rate to $1,000 per month....)
>>

>> This argument has been countered, time and again.
>
>No, it has just be denied by individuals like you who want to make
>money by getting a profitable monopoly on public resources. The bulk
>of the community has a pretty obvious interest in the other direction.
>
>Perry

Perry, Chris want's to sell names directly to the public. His prices
posetd on the webtld.com website are $35/yr with discounts for multiple
years. Chris has agreed to stipulate or contactually agree to
a long term increase shcedule.

On the other hand, the CORE registrars that would *like* to sell
IAHC's version of .web charge, on average $75 to $100/yr as
middlemen.

So, if Chris can sell names at almost a third of the price, on
a for profit basis with a guarentee of yearly reregistration
fees, and the non-profit CORE model has the price is almost
3X as much, perhaps you can explain to me the logic that says
non-profit is better for me the consumer?

--
The most important thing in the programming language is the name.  A
language will not succeed without a good name.  I have recently invented