Re: Tired of Waiting

(A little late, but...)

Richard Sexton wrote:

> >> This argument has been countered, time and again.
> >
> >No, it has just be denied by individuals like you who want to make
> >money by getting a profitable monopoly on public resources. The bulk
> >of the community has a pretty obvious interest in the other direction.
> >Perry
>
> Perry, Chris want's to sell names directly to the public. His prices
> posetd on the webtld.com website are $35/yr with discounts for multiple
> years. Chris has agreed to stipulate or contactually agree to
> a long term increase shcedule.
>
> On the other hand, the CORE registrars that would *like* to sell
> IAHC's version of .web charge, on average $75 to $100/yr as
> middlemen.
>
> So, if Chris can sell names at almost a third of the price, on
> a for profit basis with a guarentee of yearly reregistration
> fees, and the non-profit CORE model has the price is almost
> 3X as much, perhaps you can explain to me the logic that says
> non-profit is better for me the consumer?

Well, if that is the case, and seeing that Chris can sell at $35/yr, with
registrar AND registry integrated, why doesn't he divest from the registry
part, just stick to the registrar part, and bundle in with CORE. His
infastructure costs and needs to run the registry part would suddenly
disappear, (maybe Chris can inform us of how much that part costs him in
systems, staff and personal time, but I'd be surprised if he was managing at
less than $10 per name. I think he has around $1000 names registered, so if
he wants to argue that he has spent less than $10.000 I would be very
surprised), so from his $35/yr he has maybe $10 dedicated to the registry
business. CORE *TODAY* would charge him $15 per name, so he could "up" the
price by $5 to $40. Seeing that you're so convinced that the CORE bunch is
going to stay at ludicrously high prices, wow... he's going to make a
killing!

Yours, John Broomfield.