Re: Tired of Waiting

At 05:21 PM 7/14/98 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>"Richard J. Sexton" writes:
>> Perry, Chris want's to sell names directly to the public. His prices
>> posetd on the webtld.com website are $35/yr with discounts for multiple
>> years. Chris has agreed to stipulate or contactually agree to
>> a long term increase shcedule.
>
>The issue is not only one of price. If Chris turns into a flake, his
>customers have no way to switch to another provider. Furthermore, we
>would expect that with time, prices should drop, not remain stable.

Expectation and reality are two different things. But I've told you that
before.

The registry industry requires stability, not a price war that kills
everyone. I guess you missed out on that part of iahc-discuss. Start low,
adjust for inflation, adjust back for the competition, and finish low.

Simple, init?

>> On the other hand, the CORE registrars that would *like* to sell
>> IAHC's version of .web charge, on average $75 to $100/yr as
>> middlemen.
>
>I have no evidence that supports your claim. I also suspect that
>competition in the area would drive prices down to a small rate of
>return over cost.

Then how do you explain Jon Gilmore's push to raise CORE's end fees? Or was
the reason for the increased fees just to build a legal war-chest for the
bleedin' obvious?

And how do you explain the CORE registrars selling non-existant domain
names, or charging upwards of $500 just to be put ahead of everyone else in
the magical CORE queue? There is plenty of documented evidence.

Best Regards,

Simon

--
###