Re: Tired of Waiting

>The issue is not only one of price. If Chris turns into a flake, his
>customers have no way to switch to another provider. Furthermore, we
>would expect that with time, prices should drop, not remain stable.

If CORE turns into a flake, the .firm names that they wanted to sell
are just as locked-in. You will, no doubt, claim that the POC's
oversight prohibits this, but you can't know that. POC could turn into
a flake, as you say. Control is control.

But your second point is very valid. Recall, that multi-year contracts
aren't necessary when the contract says that prices shall not
increase more than a fixed percentage. If you are right, and I suspect
you are, then they will NEVER go up. Place a cap on the upscale,
and let the downscale do what it will.

>> On the other hand, the CORE registrars that would *like* to sell
>> IAHC's version of .web charge, on average $75 to $100/yr as
>> middlemen.
>
>I have no evidence that supports your claim. I also suspect that
>competition in the area would drive prices down to a small rate of
>return over cost.

Quite probably. Look at the web sites for CORE registrars. They're
not only still taking money for names that may not even occur, but
they are charging fees often higher than $100 per name! I've seen
one site that charges $500 for a name such that they'll put it in the
front of their queue. Even with a non-profit back-end, the front end
is getting what they can.

And you said it again - prices will be driven down. So where's the
risk, if the upside is limited?

Sigh.

--
Christopher Ambler, Personal Opinion Only