Re: Tired of Waiting

-----Original Message-----
From: John Charles Broomfield <jbroom@manta.outremer.com>
To: cambler@iodesign.com <cambler@iodesign.com>
Cc: simon@higgs.com <simon@higgs.com>; domain-policy@open-rsc.org
<domain-policy@open-rsc.org>; richard@sexton.com <richard@sexton.com>;
List@giaw.org <List@giaw.org>; comments@iana.org <comments@iana.org>;
discussion-draft@giaw.org <discussion-draft@giaw.org>
Date: Friday, July 17, 1998 6:15 PM
Subject: Re: Tired of Waiting

<snip>

>Why IOD didn't bid in the first place I can't understand... A series of
>requirements were drawn up for what the database/interface had to do and
>were handed around so that companies could bid. A few showed interest, but
>think that only one (Emergent) in the end actually put together a serious
>proposal, which is why they were "lumped" with the job... (I may be
mistaken
>in my appreciations, so corrections are welcome).

I am surprised that you are a member of PAB
and do not know the details of this part of CORE's
history. It had to be one of the fastest bid processes
in history. It is not surprising that few U.S. companies
bid.

Also, do you really think that contract will be changed ?

Of course, not many people have mentioned that
Emergent may not want the contract at this point in
time. They have been paid to do software development
and have a staff that is now expert in the application area.
CORE advocates claim that all of the software is going
to be released into the public domain. Emergent may
find that they are better off helping to start other registries
than running a registry under the cost-recovery rules
that are supposedly going to be applied.

The value of the Emergent contract at this point in time
has been in the "development work" not the operational
aspects of the registry. Many companies would have
probably bid on that aspect of the job had they known
that they might not have to handle the day to day operations.

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com