Re: [ifwp] SOs (or SOS?)

Eric and all,

Eric Weisberg wrote:

> The IANA/NSI proposal to create autonomous
> "Supporting Organizations" was of concern to
> the Boston group.
>
> The entity which becomes an SO  has enormous
> power over NEWco with limited oversight.
>
> Here are some relevant sections of Draft 4.
> Did we miss the mark with our objection?
> Does Draft 4 reflect the preferable organizational
>
> model?
>
> http://www.iana.org/bylaws-coop.html
>
> ARTICLE VI: SUPPORTING ORGANIZATIONS
>
>      Section 1. POWERS
> *
> *
> *
>   (c) The Supporting Organizations shall be
> delegated the primary responsibility for
> developing and
> recommending policies and procedures regarding
> those matters within their individual scope (as
> defined by the Board in its recognition of each
> such Supporting Organization). Any such
> recommendation forwarded to the Board by a
> Supporting Organization shall be simultaneously
> transmitted to all other Supporting Organizations
> so that they may comment to the Board on such
> proposals. The Board shall accept the
> recommendations of a Supporting Organization if
> the Board
> finds that the recommended action, policy or
> procedure (1) complies with the Articles and
> Bylaws,
> (2) was arrived at through fair and open processes
>
> (including permitting participation by
> representatives of other Supporting Organizations
> if requested), (3) is not opposed by any of the
> other Supporting Organizations, and (4) furthers
> the purposes of the Corporation. If the Board
> declines to accept any such recommendation of a
> Supporting Organization, it shall return the
> recommendation to the Supporting Organization for
> further consideration, along with an explanation
> of the reasons it declines to accept the
> recommendation. If, after reasonable efforts, the
> Board does
> not receive a recommendation from a Supporting
> Organization that meets the foregoing standards
> or,
> after attempting to mediate any disputes or
> disagreements between Supporting Organizations,
> receives conflicting recommendations from
> Supporting Organizations, and the Board finds that
>
> there
> is a justification for prompt action, the Board
> may initiate, amend or modify and then approve a
> specific action, policy or procedure. Nothing in
> this Section 1 is intended to limit the general
> powers
> of the Board or the Corporation to act on matters
> not within the scope of a Supporting Organization
> or that the Board finds are necessary or
> appropriate to further the purposes of the
> Corporation.

  We tend to agree with you Eric.  Here is our suggestion for the
amended/changed
ARTICLE VI section (c)

*INEG INC suggests the following changes or amendment to ARTICLE VI
   Section 1. POWERS (c) are as follows:

(c) The Supporting Organizations along with the membership Organization
 shall be delegated the primary responsibility for developing and recommending
policies and
procedures regarding those matters within their individual scope (as defined by
the
Board in its recognition of each such Supporting Organization).  All areas
shall be considered within the scope of the Membership Organization.
Any such recommendation forwarded to the Board by a Supporting Organization
shall be
simultaneously transmitted to all other Supporting Organizations
 and put forth as a resolution by which all of the membership may review
on the corporations (Web Site) prior to it's final form so that other
considerations
or changes in the language or amendments can be suggested and posted to the
corporations (Web Site).  A given amount of time to debate and determine
said amendments or suggestions will be set by the board, however such time
for debate and suggestion for the resolution and all proposed amendments should
not
exceed 30 days.  These debates should take place on an E-Mail list provided
for in some manner by the corporation open to all public input, member and
non-member
alike.  The Board may also put forth resolutions and amendments to resolutions
The Board shall accept the final form of the resolution once it has been voted
upon by the
Membership and the Supporting Organization if the Board finds that the
recommended action, policy or procedure (1) complies with the Articles and
Bylaws, (2) was arrived at through fair and open processes (including
permitting participation by representatives of other Supporting
Organizations if requested), and the Membership in all cases
 (3) is not opposed by any of the other
Supporting Organizations, and the Membership by majority vote and
(4) furthers the purposes of the Corporation.
The Board may not decline any voted upon resolution.

> Section 2. QUALIFICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP IN A
> SUPPORTING
> ORGANIZATION
>
> The Board shall review and, to the extent
> consistent with the purposes of the Corporation
> and its Articles and Bylaws and the purposes
> of the Supporting Organization, ratify any
> qualifications for membership adopted by each
> of the Supporting Organizations. Any individual
> or organization that wishes to participate in a
> Supporting Organization may do so provided
> it meets the minimum qualifications adopted by
> the Supporting Organization and ratified by
> the Board. Each Supporting Organization may
> adopt membership structures, including
> multiple classes or categories of members,
> that it deems appropriate for its effective
> functioning, consistent with the foregoing. Each
> organization that qualifies to participate in a
> given
> Supporting Organization shall designate one
> individual as its representative.
>
> Comment: Language was added to make it clear
> that a Supporting Organization
> could adopt any membership structure it
> chooses, assuming it meets the
> standards set forth in Section 3(b) below,
> and to make clear that the Supporting
> Organization could permit individual memberships.

  We again agree that this section "Section 3" is fatily flawed as well.
Here is our suggestion for amendment/changed Section 2.

*INEG INC suggests the following changes or amendment to ARTICLE VI
   Section 2. QUALIFICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP IN A SUPPORTING ORGANIZATION
    are as follows:

   The Board shall be required to submit to the membership along or including
any input or
suggestion from the membership or the initial Supporting Organizations
qualifications for "New" Supporting Organizations accordance with the
Corporation and its (suggested amended) Articles and Bylaws and the purposes of
the
Supporting Organization, along with the membership Organization by majority vote

 ratify any qualifications for membership adopted by each of the Supporting
Organizations.
 Any individual or organization that wishes to participate in a
 Supporting Organization may do so provided
it meets the minimum qualifications adopted by the Supporting Organization
and the Membership Organization determined by majority vote of the
Membership Organization.   Each Supporting Organization may adopt
membership structures, including multiple classes or categories of members,
that it deems appropriate for its effective functioning, consistent with
the foregoing. Each organization that qualifies to participate in a given
Supporting Organization shall designate one individual as its
representative.  That representative must than be elected by the Membership
Organization by majority vote.  This vote to take place using a voting mechanism

that is available on the Corporations (Web Site) or via Mail of a voting form.
This vote to be taken within 30 days of the "New" Supporting Organizations
announcement of its proposed representative.

> Section 3. DESCRIPTION AND QUALIFICATIONS
> *
> *
> *
> (b) The Board shall review the application of any
> entity that seeks to be recognized as one of the
> Supporting Organizations referred to in Section
> 3(a) of this Article VI, and, after requesting
> comments from and considering the comments of
> existing organizations representing parties
> interested in matters within the scope of the
> proposed Supporting Organization, shall approve
> such application if it finds that it has been
> organized in accordance with these Bylaws and
> that its recognition would be in the best
> interest,
> and serve the purposes, of the Corporation. The
> application shall include, but not be limited to,
> a description of the following in form and
> substance acceptable to the Board (and a
> commitment to implement the matters described
> in the application):
> (i) membership or participation criteria, (ii)
> methods for developing substantive Internet
> policies to be
> recommended to the Board and selecting Board
> nominees, (iii) open, transparent, fair and
> non-discriminatory processes (including procedures
>
> for public attendance at appropriate meetings of
> the Supporting Organization and for the
> participation of interested persons who may not be
>
> members of the Supporting Organization in advisory
>
> committees of the Supporting Organization), (iv)
> policies to ensure international and diverse
> participation,
> (v) policies for disclosure to the Corporation by
> members of or participants in a Supporting
> Organization council of conflicts of interest or
> other
> financial interests in matters within the scope of
>
> the Supporting Organization (such conflicts or
> interests, however, not necessarily requiring
> abstention from action), and (vi) methods for
> funding the Supporting Organization and
> providing funding for the Corporation.
>
> Comment: Language was added clarifying the
> minimum criteria that must be met
> for any Supporting Organization to be
> recognized by the Corporation, including
> particularly the addition of language
> encouraging public attendance at some
> meetings and a vehicle for participation by
> interested persons that could not or
> did not become members of a Supporting
> Organization. In addition, the
> disclosure policies required were limited to
> members of the councils for practical reasons.

  We also agree with you Eric on this section, Section 3 (b) ARTICLE VI as well.

Here is our suggestion for amendment or changed Section 3 (b)

*INEG INC suggests the following changes or amendment to ARTICLE VI
  Section 3 (b) As Follows:

 (b) The Board shall review the application of any entity that seeks to be
recognized as one of the Supporting Organizations referred to in Section
 (Suggested amended) 3(a) of this Article VI, and, after requesting comments
from and
considering the comments of existing organizations representing parties
interested in matters within the scope of the proposed Supporting
Organization, and the Membership shall approve such application if it finds that
it has been
organized in accordance with these  ,(Amended)Bylaws and that its recognition