Re: [ifwp] Re: "snipers", "creamers" and "marginal players"

Jim and all,

Jim Dixon wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Jay Fenello wrote:
>
> > FYI, for tomorrow's CC:
> >
> > >Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:28:10 -0400
> > >To: domain-policy@open-rsc.org
> > >From: Gordon Cook <cook@cookreport.com>
> > >Subject: Choices Faced by ISOC, IFWP and the Internet- What is likely to
> > > Happen and a reply to Don Health
> > >
> > >The Choices We Face
> > >
> > >We are now in the end game, things are becoming nasty.
>
> For the record, I have asked Jay not to make any further postings
> of this type to the IFWP steering committee's closed list.

  We disagree Jim.  We would like to let Jay know that we applaud his efforts to
keepthose that are not on the SC's CLOSED list informed of the outrageous
behavior of some
of those whom are opposed to a completely OPEN IFWP process.  It is our
belief that you cannot have or claim an open process if the SC's list is closed
and
the discussions on those conference calls are no brought out into the light.
The
actually should have all been recorded and transcribed and posted on the
IFWP's site for all to review and comment upon.  It will be recorded for
historic
purposes, along with this posting of yours that the IFWP process made a claim
of openness that it really did not have.

> While
> the actions of those attempting to block the work of the committee
> are outrageous, replying in kind to the steering committee's list
> actually serves their purposes.  We have only two weeks to conclude
> the work of the steering committee.  Those two weeks should be spent on
>
> 1.      arranging a venue for the Boston wrap-up conference
> 2.      arranging funding for that conference
> 3.      publicizing that conference
> 4.      co-ordinating with those organizing the "editorial" meeting
> 5.      completing the funding of the previous IFWP conferences
>
> These are the only legitimate activities of the steering committee at
> this time.  There are no more regional conferences to organize, just the
> final wrap-up meeting, which we have just approved for the fourth time.
> (Some will not be surprised that certain people on the steering committee
> are insisting that this issue be discussed and agreed yet again, in
> today's conference call.)

  ONe interesting question that will be recorded for historic purposes is whyit
took four times to approve the final Wrap-up conference.

> This is by no means an expression of disagreement with Jay's sentiments.
> I heartily agree with many of them.  But such discussions of policy
> belong out here in the open lists, in the light of day.

 As do the SC's minuets of the SC's conference calls.

> The great strength of the IFWP is its openness.  This is of course also
> a weakness: those who oppose the IFWP, who dislike and fear open
> processes, can join the IFWP and attack it from within.

  And of course this is correct and they have seemingly done so.

> They can also, of course, join the steering committee, where, because
> its conference calls and email list are closed, they feel at home.
> There in the dark, out of the light of the open lists, they have been
> able to do their damage.

  Yes they have.  Just like termites.  Little incessant pests that need
exterminating.