Re: [ifwp] Problems

David and all,

David Schutt wrote:

> A pretty big one. The Supporting Organizations (whomever they might be, but
> I'm assuming Arin, Ripe, Apnic, IETF/IAB, and some yet to be determined
> Domain Organization) has nine (9) guaranteed seats on the Board of
> Directors. These seats are appointed by the leadership of the Supporting
> Organizations. Why? What possible purpose does this serve? I have yet to
> hear a rational explanation of what positive effect is achieved by giving
> the Supporting Organizations such enormous power, and oversight over their
> own operations.

  Again, we agree with Davids evaluation here in general entirely.  Most of
thisproblem stems from the fact that the Board is "All Powerful" which is both
unwise and cannot meet realistically the MAIN requirement of the White Paper,
that being Stability.  This also fails the litmus test of accountability as
well.  But this
is mainly due to a lack in the Draft-5 of the "IANA", of a Membership
Organization
that has the rights to VOTE for all of the Board Members, What organizations
will be Supporting Organizations, on whom those Supporting Organizations
determine
as potential Candidates (At least Two from Each) for Directors, All candidates
for
Committee's (At least Two candidates respectively), Any Committee formation,
and any resolutions that the Board, Supporting Organizations, or Committee's may

determine.

  Our reply to Draft-4 form the IANA/NSI joint ICANN was the following:

To Wit:

>From ARTICLE II Proposal.

 (f)  Any and all resolutions and/or other considerations that will or could
have
           and impact on the creation of TLD's, allocation of IP addresses,
           introduction of protocols, definition of additional Supporting
           organizations of addition thereof, definition of any DNS issues
           other than TLD's, or addition or processes of RIR's should be
           subject to Membership vote in a simple majority before enactment.

And....

Section 2. INITIAL BOARD MEMBERS ELECTED BY THE SUPPORTING
     ORGANIZATIONS AND THE MEMBERSHIP ORGANIZATION

     Immediately upon the VOTE of the Membership of a Supporting Organization by

     the Membership Organization pursuant to amended Section 3(b) of Article VI,
the
     Board shall  request that such Supporting Organization submit for
     nomination, three persons to be directors. Upon receipt of such
nominations,
     the Membership Organization and the Supporting Organization
     shall elect such persons as members of the Initial Board.