Re: [ifwp] Re: announcement from the Berkman Center

Dave and all,

Dave Crocker wrote:

> At 12:34 PM 8/31/98 -0700, Pete Farmer wrote:
> >IANA, having created a draft, is also in a position to submit a draft to
> >the Berkman Center, thus giving itself equal "improper weight."
>
> Pete, this kind of comment is a good demonstration of a very basic problem
> in this debate.

  This sort of reply depends on your particular perspective.

> IANA and NSI are not in equivalent positions.  IANA has been doing this job
> for 15 years and is the basis for evolving the work.  While there are some
> reasonable, pro forma concerns that must be addressed concerning IANA "self
> interest" possibilities, there is little serious basis for worrying about
> that factor in the work it has been doing.

  Unfortunately the IANA has not kept up with the changes in the growth of the
Internet andthe needs and demands of that growth.

> NSI has been doing a related, but entirely subordinate work, for only a few
> years.  Further, there is massive, valid concern over it serving it's
> commercial self-interest.

  This is of course true.

> All participants are NOT created equal in this process.

  They are not necessarily CREATED equal, true enough.  But any participanthas
equal rights in the US.

> We might all wish
> otherwise, but we should not ignore historical or current facts.  One of
> the requirements for a highly open process is that all participants must
> evaluate the other participants.
>
> In any rate, let's start being clear about the difficulties of the Berkman
> Center being in charge of any portion of this process.  All the indications
> are that they are good people, trying to do good work, but intentions and
> effort are not enough.
>
> A proposal that includes relying on on-line voting for a massive, legal
> process is a clear indication of naivete (at best) which disqualifies the
> suggestor from serious consideration.

  This is both incorrect, and shows the naiveté of your thinking and in
additionrefusal to realize the already well documented and established facts.  The

1996 election was held online, I know I voted using the internet to vote.

> The state of the art and the state
> of the practise of on-line voting are not even close to sufficient to
> permit its use in this type of situation.  The Berkman folks should know that.

  They may know more that you obviously do Dave.  Online voting has beenavailable
on a large scale for almost two years now.