Re: [ifwp] Re: announcement from the Berkman Center

Richard and all,

Richard J. Sexton wrote:

> At 03:18 PM 9/1/98 +1000, Adam Todd wrote:
> >>
> >>I'm not sure which superlative to use for this suggestion, so I'll leave as
> >>an exercise for the reader to produce the one they like the most.
> >>
> >>In other words, this is a particularly constructive suggestion that ellen
> >>has made and we would all do quite well to heed it.
> >
> >Without deviating too much it was suggested PRIOR to Singapore that the NSI
> >Draft and the IANA draft be approriately mereged to form one document.
> >
> >I can see that idea didn't really attract certain parties attention.
>
> It didn't attract much interst from either ifwp or iana. Perhaps a third party ?

  As you know there have been several other Drafts and Outline drafts, such asthe
one we proposed before the Reston Conference.  These two have gotten
some attention but really only trivial consideration.  Jay's proposal, thought not
completely formal in structure, was one that with a few modifications and balancing
was very close to what the consensus that the IFWP meetings have determined.
But it too, has not received the attention that it deserves and bears merit in
looking at closely again.  All this aside however, Richard Adam, makes a good
point and you question seems to be a good question that should be thought of
as a possible alternative.  As I have posted three times today, we have approached
several parties (Jay, Karl a., Jim Dixon, Eric Wiesnberg, and Dan Stienberg) to
work cooperatively with them to put forth a "Third Party" consensus based draft
based on the consensus items determined from the IFWP conferences.  It appears
that those overtures have fallen on deaf ears.

  It is really most likely however that a "Third Party" Jointly prepared Draft set
of bylaws and articles of corporation, would likely not sit well with the IANA at
any
rate judging from the near lack of attention to the IFWP process which they publicly

pledged to work with.  As for NSI, this is not known however.