ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[3gtld-guide]

GeoTLD Berlin

  • To: <3gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: GeoTLD Berlin
  • From: ".Versorgungswerk" <Versorgungswerk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:49:45 +0100

There is a clear Demand for GeoTLDs

City and Geo TLDs are always mixed up with other new gTLDs in the
discussion on economic parameters. First of all the studies the German
Internet Association eco and separately we as dotBERLIN have conducted
show that e.g.
80% of businesses would be interested to register a .berlin domain name
and 43% of individuals prefer www.mayor.berlin as their preferred domain
name to find the Berlin mayor. Secondly we do not see any economic
consultant or ICANN in the position to decide if a city or geographic
region has a demand for its own identity. It should just simply be
mentioned in the upcoming economic studies that there is a significant
demand of cities, cultural, linguistic and geographic regions for their
own TLD.

Dieter Rau
CEO

Versorgungswerk des Handwerks Berlin