ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[alac-forum]

auctioning of expired domains

  • To: <forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: auctioning of expired domains
  • From: "Tim Pluma" <Tim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 11:04:20 -0800

Dear Sir/Madam:

auction expired domain names, I would like to comment that I think this is a
BAD idea for the consumer.

The registrars should not have an unfair advantage by holding on to the
domains and auctioning them directly.   The domains should be put back into
the system for all consumers to have equal chance to reregister them.  Sure
there are backorder companies, of which many registrars are participants,
but at least you (as the consumer) feel you have a decent chance of
obtaining the domain name at a reasonable price rather than be forced into a
bidding war created by the losing registrar.

Thank you for allowing me to comment.

Sincerely,

         M. Timothy Pluma IV
                          Managing Partner