ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[alac-forum]

Re : # 2005 May 11 - world wide business domain - me here

  • To: forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re : # 2005 May 11 - world wide business domain - me here
  • From: mireille.laschet@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 14:59:25 +0200

Hello  Michelle,

You wrote the 3rd message concerning World Wide Business Domain, I wrote
the 2nd one.

Until 19th. April, I noticed there are more results about this company.
Clic on the "Google" search here :
http://www.google.be/search?hl=fr&q=World+Wide+Business+Domain&btnG=Recherche+Google&meta=

and see the containt of this page
http://www.badbusinessbureau.com/reports/ripoff141618.htm

QUOTE
Category:
Internet Services
Submitted: 5/5/2005 7:44:05 AM
Modified: 5/5/2005 7:44:00 AM

Worldwide Business Domain ripoff DNS host registrar false service Internet

Company
Worldwide Business Domain
Address:
worldwidebusinessdomain.com
Internet Internet
United Kingdom
Phone Number:
Fax:

 From what I gather, here's how they operate their scam.

You are a company and you have a website.
 From the website, they will find info on who to contact in the company.
Then they will contact that person and claim that:

They are a Domain Name Registrar in the UK.
Their website is www.worlswidebusinessdomain.com
(It's an actual site that almost looks legit)
Then they will say that they just received a request for registration on
names that relate to YOUR company. For example, you are company.com,
they'll say that someone wants to register company.net, .org, .tv, .info
etc...
They'll claim that out of courtesy and ethics, they usually call the
companies and are willing to offer you the domain names before they let
the other unnamed party register them.

They'll say that this is a limited time thing, you only have a few minutes
before they proceed with the registration with the other party.

They charge about double the average going rate for registration.

I looked them up. What tells me this is a scam is, you can't find them on
google by name. Pretty surprising for a DNS hosting company. Then I start
looking around and find a few posts complaining on different websites, but
not many. Some posts claim that after they paied, the names WERE
registered, BUT through a known, normal registrar that normally changes
about HALF what Worldwide business domain charged. Nice 50% profit right
there. The posts also pointed out that out of the possible list the caller
said someone wanted to register, none had actually been registered, except
for the ones the company had actually picked. Which tells me there was
most probably never an actual "unnamed" third party in the first place.

So I went to another much cheaper register, and registered the names we
want to keep for 1/4 of the price worldwide business domain wanted to scam
out of us.

Their website does not offer online, automated DNS registration. Every
other Registrar's does. Their own domain name isn't even registered with
them. In FACT, they are not even a real domain name registrar.

I don't know if it's illegal or not. But to me, it most definatly IS a
scam.

Pat
Montreal, Quebec
Canada
UNQUOTE

I really hope that someobdy will be able to stop this unfair activity.

Mireille LASCHET, BELGIUM