ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[alac-forum]

It's about time some ETHICS was shown

  • To: forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: It's about time some ETHICS was shown
  • From: "Casselman, Jim" <jim.casselman@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:15:07 -0400

No ETHICS is not an acronym for some other agency within this framework....It
is just what it says. Something ICANN-Approved Registrars should show above
all, since they are dealing with the public!

I am the President of a non-profit organization (.org) who contacted my
registrar about our domain name when it was coming up for renewal or
expiration, and told them I did not want to re-register through their service
since the cost was exorbitant and I didn't want to have to pay a transfer fee
to another registrar who was cheaper.  I told them I would let the name expire
and then register it with the other registrar.

I knew when our domain name was to expire and tried to get the second registrar
to register it for me, but it kept coming up as unavailable.  I contacted my
previous registrar again and was told it was on a two week hold just in case I
wanted to renew it....I explained again that I did not want to renew it...Then
it mysteriously was going to take 30-40 days to clear in the "database". I was
given a date of June 06, 2005 and the day it would become available....Well no
luck.  So I keep checking it periodically and get the same thing until today.
Now all of a sudden it's registered with a "holding" company for a year and I
can buy the name back if I want to.

There is a major lack of ETHICS here and possibly some underhandedness since
the company who is supposed to have the name isn't even registered as a
business in the State of Florida.  The name does not show up in any Yellow
Pages or White Pages....Cross Reference Address or Phone directory and when you
call the number listed you get a modem....  Be my guest and try it yourselves.

With companies like these being allow to register and hold organizations domain
names hostage we sure can't count on this to improve!

Jim Casselman, President
United Hunters of Florida

Domain ID:D106615625-LROR
Domain Name:UNITEDHUNTERS.ORG
Created On:13-Jun-2005 18:55:24 UTC
Expiration Date:13-Jun-2006 18:55:24 UTC
 Sponsoring Registrar:iHoldings.com, Inc. dba Dotregistrar.com (R114-LROR)
Status:TRANSFER PROHIBITED
Registrant ID:235724-R
Registrant Name:Coventry Investments Ltd. *
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street1:1680 NW 82th Avenue
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Miami
Registrant State/Province:FL
Registrant Postal Code:33126
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.3054639709
Registrant Phone Ext.:
 Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:Sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Admin ID:235724-A
Admin Name:DomainCollection.com
Admin Organization:
 Admin Street1:1680 NW 82th Avenue
Admin Street2:THIS DOMAIN IS FOR SALE
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Miami
Admin State/Province:FL
Admin Postal Code:33126
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.3054639709
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:+1.3054639709
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:Sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tech ID:235724-T
Tech Name:DomainCollection.com
Tech Organization:
Tech Street1:1680 NW 82th Avenue
Tech Street2:4-SALE at DomainCollection.com
Tech Street3: Tech City:Miami
Tech State/Province:FL
Tech Postal Code:33126
Tech Country:US