ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] GNSO Liaison Report

  • To: ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] GNSO Liaison Report
  • From: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 10:40:34 -0700

Apologies for not getting this in five days before the meeting. I hope you
have time to read it before tomorrow's conference call. P.S., We have a GNSO
new gTLD task force call 1:30 hours before the ALAC call. I will switch over
to the ALAC call as soon as we finish. I  will be online at the time though,
so just email me if you want me sooner.

   Bret

--
Work in the GNSO the last two months has centered on the following:

1. New gTLD Task Force (PDP Dec05). The New gTLD Task Force, which is
composed of the entire GNSO Names Council, met during the last week of
August to review its progress to date and reach tentative agreement on
recommendations.

The Amsterdam working materials are linked here:
http://gnso.icann.org/announcements/announcement-22aug06.htm

Our Discussion is linked here:
http://forum.icann.org/lists/gtld-council/

Tentative recommendations are linked here:
http://forum.icann.org/lists/gtld-council/msg00216.html

The last link is the most relevant if you want to jump straight to the end.
We plan to complete our work at the Sao Paulo meeting and present a
resolution with recommendations to the ICANN Board at that time.

2. Registry Contractual Conditions Task Force (PDP Feb06). The Contractual
Conditions task force has been working to develop recommendations on what
ICANN's contractual relationship with its gTLD registry services provides
should look like. Much of the last two months has been spent in discussions
about what to with the proposed .BIZ, .INFO, and .ORG agreements that ICANN
Staff negotiated while the current policy development process was underway.
With the exception of the members of the Council selected by the registries,
the GNSO Councilors were unanimously dismayed that ICANN Staff moved ahead
with these draft contracts while the PDP work was underway.

At the most recent GNSO Council meeting, the Council passed the following
resolution, which has been sent to the Board:

    "The GNSO Council resolves:

    To request the Board to delay any decision on the .biz
    .info and .org agreements until the ICANN Board meeting
    after the Sao Paolo ICANN meetings 2006 and to take
    into account the current outcome of the PDPFeb06 task
    force at that time."

The task force continues to work on a schedule that will complete the work
by the next ICANN meeting.

Archives are here:
http://forum.icann.org/lists/pdp-pcceg-feb06/

3. London School of Economics Report on the GNSO. As many of you know, the
London School of Economics was hired to conduct a thorough overview of the
GNSO and, if necessary, propose changes to make it work better. That report
is under discussion in the GNSO. Earlier this week, we received a report
from the LSE, which has been archived on the GNSO web site as an MP3 file:

http://gnso-audio.icann.org/LSE-GNSO-20061003.mp3

The presentation and Q&A session lasted about an hour.

---
END