ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Re: On DoC/ICANN JPA, whois

  • To: governance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] Re: On DoC/ICANN JPA, whois
  • From: "Izumi AIZU" <aizu@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 05:44:43 +0900

I came to Brussels last night and went to European Commission today
for a research on network security.

I also met with Mr. Michael Niebel of EC, DG information society & media,
and talked about the JPA between DOC and ICANN.

He said, on the record, that the European Commission had no prior information
about the JPA, its content, nor ICANN Board resolution, including, inter alia,
the whois section and was very surprised to know the content.

My interpretation is, unlike the general welcoming tone of the EC Commissioner
Reading, the reaction by the Commission is not quite positive. With
her statement,
there are much more explicit mention of the civil society than the JPA
which also
indicates thier policy.

My another impression of the email from Paul Twomey to GNSO/Bruce is
though ICANN/Paul pretends that they sort or respect the bottom up process etc,
the whois emphasis and reaffirmation of the Borad resolution is still strange
and am not convinced fully with Paul's email.

Just FYI.

izumi

--
                    >> Izumi Aizu <<