ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Board Meeting

  • To: John L <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Board Meeting
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:11:18 -0400

At 12:17 PM 10/15/2006, John L wrote:
* <http://www.icann.org/minutes/secretarys-notice-27sep06.htm>Board Inquiry Responses
* <http://www.icann.org/announcements/afilias-to-icann.pdf>Afilias Response
* <http://www.icann.org/announcements/pir-to-icann-10oct06.pdf>PIR's Response
* <http://www.icann.org/announcements/neuStar-to-icann-10oct06.pdf>Neulevel Response

Has anyone reviewed the registries responses to see whether they address the concerns ALAC raised?
I like PIR's response, which suggests adding explicit uniform pricing language to the contract (and I think PIR's language is better than Neustar's, though I haven't reviewed them in depth).

The suggested language in all three letters appears to be identical. Gosh, I wonder how that happened. It seems OK to me.

Neustar's and Afilias's are nearly identical. I thought PIR's was broader, applying to all "new and renewal" registrations, as opposed to Neustar and Afilias's "active Registered Name/ active .INFO domain."

I'd still rather see actual price structures as part of the contract.

PIR.
(a) Prices for Registry Services. The same price to ICANN-accredited registrars
for new and renewal domain name registrations and for transferring a domain
name registration from one ICANN-accredited registrar to another, shall be
charged to all registrars with respect to each annual increment of a new or renewal
domain name registration, and for transferring a domain name registration from
one ICANN-accredited registrar to another, provided, however, that:
(i) volume discounts, marketing support, and incentive programs may be made if
the same opportunities to qualify for those discounts, marketing support, and
incentive programs are available to all ICANN-accredited registrars; and
ii) if ICANN approves a new Registry Service approved through the process set
forth above (Registry Service Process), or to the extent a variable pricing model
for active Registered Names has been implemented in any other new or existing
gTLD, then different prices for such registrations may be charged.

Neustar.
Registry Operator shall not impose any variable pricing model on any active Registered
Name. This restriction shall not apply: (i) to any uniformly applied fee increases imposed
on all Registered Name Holders; (ii) to any active Registered Name that was initially
registered pursuant to a marketing program employed by Registry Operator; (iii) to any
active Registered Name registered through any new Registry Service approved through
the process set forth in Section __ above (Registry Service Process) or (iv) to the extent a

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law, Brooklyn Law School