ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Re: Why there are chronic delays on mail to the ICANN ALAC list

  • To: "John L" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] Re: Why there are chronic delays on mail to the ICANN ALAC list
  • From: "Jacqueline Morris" <jam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:35:23 -0400

Hi John
This is unbelievable!

Yes, a 30 minute delay is serious when we are trying to get issues debated
in time to do a document/response or something like that. Also the fact that
some get through faster, some are delayed while some never get through makes
the discussion on the email list very difficult to follow as emails arrive
out of order.

Making the email arrive slower doesn't seem a very sensible way to foster
reasoned discussion - if we can't trust ourselves to be intelligent &
reasoned on the list, what's the point? This list is supposed to  be full of
intelligent people who want to provide input into the ICANN processes.

Going the route of less interactivity in this day and age is ridiculous IMO.
There are so many tools that allow posting for registered members to reduce
the spamming that happens on the ICANN forums- the technology that runs
those forums seems to me to be grossly out of date.

And if ICANN insists that the ALAC list is full of "ungoverned
conversations" that go off into "wild directions"  - there's a very simple
solution - let them moderate it with a 10 min delay at most, or lets create
our own list and discussions on www.icannalac.org and leave ICANN's
prehistoric list and website management well alone.

Jacqueline