ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] FW: Review and Recommendations for Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs)

  • To: Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] FW: Review and Recommendations for Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs)
  • From: John L <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:26:24 -0400 (EDT)

The way I see the thing is that there is a user need for domain names in
different scripts.

Of course. There is also a user need for cars that use under 1L/100km of petrol. That doesn't mean it's possible to build either.

The question is whether the DNS, as universal solution, can be extended to
allow this to happen, still maintaining the universality of the tool.

The answer is pretty clearly no, unless they abandon Unicode and punycode and use a new coding scheme with unique encodings. I think it's unlikely that such a scheme would ever be implemented widely enough to be useful.

However, if the answer is: "It cannot be done within a reasonable time", the
counter-answer of the users, contrary to popular belief in the WASP Engineer
community, is not going to be: "Oh, well, too bad, in that case we stick to
Latin script", but: "Oh, well, we'll find a workaround that works for our
script and our community, too bad for the universality of the Internet,

Right. Everyone I know, including speakers of English, finds domains by looking them up in search engines which are not constrained, as the DNS is, to unique names or encodings.

R's,
John