ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [alac] FW: Review and Recommendations for Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs)

• To: John L <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] FW: Review and Recommendations for Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs)
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 17:49:26 +0200

John L ha scritto:
I have trouble understanding why you choose to denigrate people who have educated themselves about the issues rather than spending some time educating yourself. I realize it is frustrating to be told that a complex problem does not have a simple solution, but shooting the messenger doesn't help.

I didn't mean to denigrate anyone (especially since there are many people I don't know personally in the group) but I certainly don't like the attitude I perceive from the text. The message that users receive, voluntary or not, is made by two parts:
- it can't be technically done
- and by the way, you're ignorant and stupid

The second part completely cancels the first: at that point, you don't trust the messenger any more, so you can't tell whether it can't be done because it can't be done, or it can't be done because they won't bother to try hard enough, or to remove some of their constraints that deprive the problem of solutions. (Actually, pretty anything can be done if there is enough commitment: engineers succeeded in flying, don't tell me that they are uncapable of inventing a Unicode-based lookup system.)

If it really can't be done, a different attitude might do a lot in letting people really understand that. However, I agree with Roberto that the only result of that reply will be that people who care, no matter whether they are actually right or wrong, will route around it.
--
vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy